Ethical Hackers test and evaluate security. They can spot any potential weakness in a system and take measures to cover it. They have no ill-intentions and work only for the benefit of the individual they are hired by.Like any hacker, an ethical hacker exploits the vulnerabilities of the system to obtain unlawful access. The only difference is that the ethical hacker has the permission of the individual or corporation they are breaking into. Thus, it cannot be classified as a criminal activity. These types of hackers are popularly known as the white hat. The other ones are are called the black hat.
Why is it that organizations need hackers?
Organizations hire a hacker based on their work ethics, to counter the infamous black hats. Here is an outline of their activities and their necessity.
- Before Attack:
- Test Security – These hackers test the security of the organization by breaking into their system. This way, they can spot the openings in their security.
- Monitors Security – They keep an eye out for any possible security breach. There is a possibility that there has already been a bug or malware planted.
- Secures Vulnerabilities – They secure any weak spots and vulnerability they encounter.
- Reduce Risk – They work with the IT departments to reduce the risk of a breach.
- During Attack:
- Locates Opening – They locate the opening or the source of the attack and closes it. Locating the source is essential to counter it.
- Counter Attack – They counter the attacker and block their pathway. Blocking all pathways will stop the exchange of information between the hacker and the bug or malware. Hence, protects your data.
- Removes Remnant – They clean the network off any remaining bugs, viruses, or malware.
- After Attack:
- Repair – They repair and update the anti-virus and anti-malware programs, as well as the firewall. They also repair any other damage that may have happened to the security network.
- Improve Security – They improve the current security measures and implement new methods for the same.
- Ongoing Work:
- Data security – It keeps your data and information safe.
- Network and server security – It keeps your network, servers, and devices (computers, etc.) safe.
- Cyber-security – It monitors all cyber activities and look for any suspicious ones.
Ethical hacking is essential in enterprises where legal information, company data, cyber security, and legal practices is a must.
Companies hire a hacker to strengthen their defenses against cyber attacks. These hackers share the same skills, curiosity, and knowledge as any other hacker. They possess the same intellect and natural IT instinct and any professional programmer. Many organizations and agencies confide in these hackers for their cyber-security.